Somali Development Center
205 Green Street, Jamaica Plain MA 02130
Contact: Mr. Abdi Yusuf, Executive Director
Since 1995, the Somali Development Center (SDC)
has been the lifeline to vital educational and social services for
Boston's growing Somali refugee and immigrant community. Nearly
5000 Somali refugees have arrived in the Boston area since 1992.
SDC was specifically established to provide multiple services to
the Somali newcomers, as there were no effective mainstream social
service agencies working with Somalis at that time. Somali newcomers
are primarily young adults and children. They are generally Sunni
The mission of SDC is to provide consistently
excellent and accessible community services to all Somalis (and
other Africans) in Boston, regardless of immigration status. These
services help Somalis (and other Africans) in Boston, to obtain
the basic resources, services, information and skills needed to
build productive and self-sufficient lives in a new land. While
strengthening the Somali community by promoting mutual assistance,
cultural identity, and leadership, SDC fosters the ability to Somali
individuals and families to advocate on their own behalf and participate
constructively in the larger community.
SDC pursues its goals through the following
- Housing: Search assistance, advocacy, and interpretation.
- Education: ESL and citizenship classes, GED classes, computer
training, and other adult programs, including courses for college
credit offered in partnership with Roxbury Community College. [Currently,
this component is not offered due to lack of funding.]
- Employment and Training: Post Employment Vocational Skills Training.
- Youth programs: After-school Home Safety project, Mentorship program,
including crime prevention and substance abuse prevention, and Leadership
- Legal Assistance: Immigration, welfare, housing, employment, domestic
violence, and advocacy in the courts.
- Health: Emotional problems, women's health issues, health education,
health care access, domestic violence prevention.
- Resources and Information: Cable television program, community
lectures, research, information and referral.